Tuesday, July 24, 2007

First Week

Well, I have been here for about a week now and have amazingly accomplished nothing. I left from Cincinnati around 1pm on July 18 only to have a 9 hour layover in LA and not leave there until after 11:30pm on the 18th. After a 14 hour flight, I arrived in Sydney at 6:05am on July 20, so therefore I never had the privilege to experience Thursday, July 19, 2007. Talk about a long flight.
When I finally arrived at MacQuarie University Village, I started to meet my 4 roommates throughout the day. There is a man from Asia who I rarely see, a woman from Australia and 2 women from India (I believe). I think that I have done well so far in that I can remember all but one of their names.
I would have to say that the weirdest part is the 14 hour time difference and not having much connection to the US because everyone is usually sleeping while I am enjoying life down under. A lot of people went on pre-orientation trips. After spending the first 2-3 days going to bed at 5pm and waking up at 3am, I think that I finally have myself on a positive sleep schedule although I am still waking up at 7am even without a job. So I have spent my extra sleeping hours watching Weeds, Season 2 and Jericho, Season 1 (both are amazing shows).
Today I spent the mid-afternoon attempting to travel to North Sydney to meet the only connection that I have in the area only to be told both people were away for the week. Wasn't all that bad of a trip though since it kinda taught me how to use the Bus system. I am willing to bet that missing my return stop and having to change buses and ride for an extra 20 minutes wasn't all that bad. I just need to find what bus I can take that will pick me up and drop me off right in front of my apartment.
The fun is about to start as the rest of the normal students return to campus throughout the weekend and the parties start to get going, not to mention I start class on Monday (July 30).
If you want to contact me feel free: AOL & Skype-jordancmcghee; email-jordan.mcghee@richmond.edu; and for those who don't care about costs (it is free for me) cell- 61-0404-41-6865
I'll see how well I do keeping this up to date and adding some pictures from around the area. Cheers!

No comments: